KENNERTON BY FISCHER AUDIO PROUDLY PRESENTS ITS TOP OF THE LINE PLANAR MAGNETIC HEADPHONE, ODIN.
WHAT IS KENNERTON ODIN?
Kennerton represents the premium line of portable audio engineered by Fischer Audio. With Kennerton, it is where the talents of our sound designers are pushed to the extreme limits, and where only top notch quality would suffice.
Odin is the flagship model from the Kennerton brand. 5 years in the making since 2011, the planar magnetic headphones is the top-of-the-line with every single components designed from scratch and developed by hand. With Odin, we didn’t merely want to create a planar magnetic headphones, we want to create history.
There is no close comparison in the world to Kennerton Odin, a true luxury to the audiophile ears.
WHY PLANAR MAGNETIC?
In our eyes, we see the perfect headphone as a cross-breed of the dynamic and electrostatic technologies combined into one. Whereby taking the airy and extremely detailed sound of an electrostatic driver, and combining it with the power and impact of a dynamic transducers. This enables us to achieve a sound that’s both natural and engaging.
When we looked at the market to see what our competitors have been producing in the last couple of years, we were surprised to find that the most recent planar magnetic headphones all had the same design and thus also shared the same flaws. This indicated to us that the 35-year old planar magnetic technology hasn’t evolved with time.
We got to the drawing board and started to make our own drivers from scratch. One of our core goals was to minimize internal structure resonances and optimize sound wave patterns, in order to create a clear, low-distortion sound frequency. To achieve this, we created several patent-pending core innovations. Its magnetic structure is designed to eliminate both unwanted resonances, and unify magnetic field distribution over the total frequency range.
SO WE STARTED MAKING OUR OWN DRIVER FROM SCRATCH.
Our drivers are solely designed and produced in Russia, which involves a facility that also work for the aerospace and military industries, which ensures the highest quality and durability of our headphones.
- A new 80mm planar-magnetic driver, with every aspect of this technology being implemented, such as phase coherence, flat impedance and a low-mass diaphragm.
- Multi-layer 10µm polyimide film diaphragm, tested to have the highest reliability and longevity in the most extreme environmental conditions.
- FEM-Optimized Magnet System with 10 neodymium magnets arranged in symmetric push-pull configuration.
- Unique semicircular bar magnets.
- A semicircular form therefore has many advantages over the ordinary rectangular shaped bar magnets: It gives a more uniform magnetic field, greatly reduces internal resonances and produces an optimal sound.
- Our driver allows greater sensitivity, thanks to its powerful magnets and low-mass diaphragm. It can therefore be easily driven by portable devices.
OPTIMAL INNER STRUCTURE
To maximize the potential of an excellent driver, it is hugely important to ensure that it works in a perfect condition to manage the resonant and reflected waves.
With Odin, it went through countless experiments to ensure that we create a unique solution that allows the drivers to perform in the purest capability.
Kennerton aims for quality and reliability, so we designed a headphone adjustment system that embodies both.
To start, simply turn the screw (pictured and labeled 1) counterclockwise, until the headphone yoke (2) starts moving freely. Ensure this is done on both sides.
Then, put the headphones back on your head, and tighten the screws (1) on both sides, by turning them clockwise.
We aim for reliability and durability, and so used simple but functional construction.
Aerospace grade aluminum and steel used.
Quality wooden earcup.
Complete absence of any plastic parts.
- All wood types used for making the headphones' assembly and cups always undergo multiple different processes. We use drying and coating methods which have antibacterial substances making the cups pleasant to look at and resistant against environmental factors.
- Our wooden cups are made by a specific in-house developed procedure. The wood types and geometry of acoustic design, influences the sound and we therefore take this into account when producing and designing our cups.
- Cups is designed in 3D on a computer and milled on a precise CNC machine; because a CNC machines have extreme processing quality and 100% geometric shape repeatability.
- After the milling operation, the cups are sanded and polished by hand.
- After sanding, wood is coated by using special oils to protect it from humidity and prevent it from deteriorating.
- After drying of oils, the cups are covered by the first coat of lacquer, which is drying for 12 hours.
- The dried lacquers coat is sanding and leveling by hand and then covered by finish coat of lacquer for maximum gloss.
Note: Each pair of headphones is one of a kind, and due to the nature of handwork, slight variations in wood grain may occur.
Ear cushions are handmade in-house from soft lambskin from a remote highland region in Nothern Caucasus. Natural leather has a better damping effect than artifical leather, making sound more clear and focused. Inside dimensions are large enough for any ears, so comfort is not an issue.
Removable cable made of oxygen-free copper with mini XLR connector to headphones and high-quality 6.3 mm (TRS) plug to amplifier. Cable length is 2.0 m.
HEALTH AND SAFETY
- When plugging-in our headphones into an amplifier, please ensure the volume is set at a safe and low volume, in order to avoid hearing damage.
- The very low levels of distortion present within the Odin can make the listening levels higher than is initially perceived and we would like to warn you of this so that you are able to enjoy these headphones for many years without damaging your ears.
- Overexposure to excessive sound levels can damage your ears, resulting in permanent noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL). Please use the following guidelines established by the Occupational Safety Health Administration (OSHA) on the maximum time exposure to sound pressure levels.
LISTENING TO AUDIO AT EXCESSIVE VOLUMES CAN CAUSE PERMANENT HEARING DAMAGE – USE AS LOW A VOLUME AS POSSIBLE:
- Do not use headphones while driving, crossing streets, or doing any other activity where full attention to your surroundings is required.
- As with any equipment which will be used in close proximity to sensitive areas of the body, it is essential that the ear-pads and headband are kept clean. Use a damp cloth for cleaning, by using warm water or hypoallergenic wax only. Make sure to take care whilst performing this task, as to prevent any water damage to the transducers.
CARING, STORAGE AND CLEANING
- Store in a clean, dry environment.
- When not in-use, always store your headphones in the protective case provided.
- Do not keep the product in places with high temperature (exceeding 60°C), high humidity or where there’s excessive dust.
- Avoid exposure to liquids.
- Never try to dismantle or repair the product.
- Use a soft dry cloth to clean the housing. Do not use sorbents or gasoline as their application may result in the change of color or even damage the surface of the headphones.
- Do not unduly pull on the cable.
- Do not fold the cable.
Like your shoes, earphones usually require some “break-in” period. In the audio world this is known as “burn-in”. The sound quality out-the-box may vary from the actual final sound the headphones can reproduce. This however is normal, and with time (usually 50 hours) the audio drivers become more accustom to the music being played through them and therefore are able to reproduce a more accurate sound.
Frequency response: 15 Hz – 50 Khz
Impedance: 40 Ohm ± 5%
Sensitivity: 104 dB / 1 mW
Driver size: 80 mm
Driver type: Planar magnetic
Diaphragm: Metallized polyimide @ 8 µm
Magnet System: Symmetric push-pull
Magnet material: NdFeB
Aerospace grade aluminum and steel.
Cable size: 2 m (Y – type)
Cable type: Detachable (TRS/mini XLR)
Enclosure type: Open back
Enclosure material: Natural wood
Headband type: Manually adjustable
Headband casing: Natural leather
Ear Coupling: Circumaural
Earcups material: Natural leather
Weight: 670 g (w/o cable)